Is your metal cutting saw blade cutting slower than usual? Is your blade forming rough edges? These are an indication that your blades are getting dull. Then this is the right time to change your metal cutting saw blades.
On this page, I have selected some of the Best Metal Cutting Saw Blades available on the market.
Table of Contents
Selection Of Circular Saw Blades
Metal cutting saw blades, also called circular saw blades, are a metal cutting tool designed to cut various metal types and its appliances like cutting c-channel, angle iron, thin steel sheets, steel plate, joists, trusses, pipes. These blades are chosen based on tooth set, including tooth forms ( Standard, skip, hook), sawtooth pattern (raker .alternate, wavy), and the blade’s material.
Types of Metal Cutting Saw Blades
Metal cutting saw blades come in various sizes, thickness and are made of hard materials like carbide and steel. There are two types of circular saw blades generally used for metal cutting.
- Abrasive Disc Blade: This type of circular blade is best suited for starter because it is lightweight and affordable. It is used for cutting steel and metal materials, like metal plates, tubes, pipes and metal bars. The circular blade is made of abrasive material, such as fibreglass, for cutting hard steel and metals. The only drawback of this type of blade is that it generates much spark and heat during the cutting operation.
- Cold Saw Blade: This type of circular blade is used for precise cutting. Cold Saw Blades are heavy and expensive, so it is generally used by professional DIY’s. The circular blade is made of solid HSS or tungsten carbide-tipped and used to perform the metal cutting operation at a relatively slow rotational speed. They are termed Cold Saw Blade because the heat generated during the cutting process transfers to the chip. Hence, keeping the blade and the work material cold.
When to replace your Metal Cutting Saw Blade?
Sharp-edged blades generate precise and effortless cut through metal. A tool cannot cut for an ultimate period of time it has its definite life. Tool life is the time a tool will operate efficiently until its edges become dull. It is often difficult to determine blade sharpness because sometimes the edge dullness may be microscopic, and may not be visible through the naked eyes. But certain signs might indicate premature dullness.
- Rough cutting: If your circular blade is cutting slower and requires more force than usual or during the cutting operation, experiencing a sudden hitch, then it is a high time to replace your cutting saw blade.
- Heat generation: If your circular blade produces too much heat during the cutting operation or producing too much spark. Then this is a sign of tool dullness.
- Rough Finish: If your tool is producing a rough finish during the cutting process, then it indicates that your tool might be dull.
- Making Sound: If your tool is making louder sound than usual or the sound changes frequently during the cutting process, then it may be a sign of tool dullness.
- Visual Inspection: Although detecting premature dullness is challenging, but still, visual inspection is the preliminary procedure to identify dullness. Look for the buildup of pitch on the sides of the teeth or the teeth which appear rounded. Even look for broken teeth or missing teeth which can be easily identified visually. Or compare your metal cutting saw blade against a sharp saw blade to identify minute changes.
Best Metal Cutting Saw Blade
After long research, I have selected some of the Best Metal Cutting Saw Blade that may suit you according to your job need.
DEWALT: Carbide Metal Cutting Saw Blade
DEWALT is a popular name in the electrical and tool industry. If you are looking for a branded and reliable metal cutting saw blade, DEWALT can be a good choice. DEWALT metal cutting saw blade is built for cutting tough metals.
DEWalt DW7747 14-Inch Ferrous Saw Blade consists of 70-tooth, capable of cutting an average of 1,200 cuts in most materials rotating at 1800rpm. It is made from 12% titanium carbide, which makes it more durable and wear-resistant. Its unique feature, like the Modified ATB tooth geometry, provides clean, burr-free cuts on the metal surface. Another feature is its Tri-foil braze, which absorbs the build-up stress hence increasing the strength of each tooth.
Evolution: Cutting Saw Blade (14″)
Evolution’s power tools steel cutting saw blades are designed specifically to cut steel. Its highest grade Carbide, Hardened blade Bodies, and ultra high-grade brazing techniques deliver maximum performance and achieve a desirable finish. Some detailed specification about the Metal Cutting Saw Blade:
- 1600 RPM
- 66 Carbide Teeth, .094-Inch Kerf
- 1-Inch Arbor Size
IRWIN: Laser Cut Metal Cutting Saw Blade
If you are looking for an affordable metal cutting saw blade, then Irwin’s metal cutting circular saw blade can be a good choice. This circular saw blade is designed for cutting thin steel. Its carbide teeth deliver smooth and fast cut.