Are you an arborist, logger and looking for Best Top Handle Chainsaw? Then you have come to the right place. This type of Chainsaws is suitable for professionals working in trees, especially for trained arborists.
Development of Top Handle Chainsaw
Earlier, when people used to work in the forest, they only had the traditional rear handle chainsaw. But it wasn’t easy to handle rear handle chainsaw in dense tree crowns, which often led to accidents. Later, the Chainsaw designer modified their design and decided to move the rear handle to the Chainsaw’s top. By doing so, it saved some space and provided much more grip and support.
Top Handle Chainsaw is developed by keeping ISO standards in mind. ISO standard is a directive that indicates how this Chainsaw should be designed. One of the vital point of that ISO standard that this type of Chainsaw always requires two hands. Where top handle requires the right hand, and the left handle requires the left hand for the complete grip and support, hence preventing accident due to the engagement of both hands, unlike one hand saws.
ISO 11681-2 for Top Handle Chainsaw
ISO 11681-2:2011 gives safety requirements and measures for their verification for the design and construction for tree service of portable, combustion-engine, hand-held chainsaws having a maximum mass, without guide bar or saw chain and with tanks empty, of 4,3 kg, intended to be used, with the right hand on the rear handle and left hand on the front handle, by a trained operator for pruning and dismantling standing tree crowns, and by persons having read and understood the safety requirements provided in the instruction handbook, using the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). Methods for the elimination or reduction of hazards arising from the use of these machines and the type of information on safe working practices to be provided by the manufacturer are specified.
ISO 11681-2:2011 deals with all significant hazards, hazardous situations and hazardous events relevant to these machines when they are used as intended and under conditions of misuse, which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer.
ISO standard also gives direction on how you should use a Top Handle Chainsaw. You are allowed to work with this type of Chainsaw according to ISO standard only when you are climbing up in a tree for tree pruning or tree removal or when you work in a bucket lift.
As per ISO standards, you are not allowed to use this type of Chainsaw with one hand, and using both hands, it gives you better control over your machine.
Top Handle Chainsaw vs Rear handled Chainsaw.
- Top Handle Chainsaw is best suitable for heights for climbing purposes for tree pruning or tree removal, whereas traditional rear handle chainsaws are best suited for groundwork.
- Top handled saws are for professional use. That is why Top Handle Chainsaw requires a license to operate. So it is not recommended to use by untrained professionals.
- Top Handle Chainsaw is a bit lighter when compared to rear handled Chainsaw.
Things to consider before buying Top Handle Chainsaw
- Safety: Safety must be your first consideration when looking for Best Top Handle Chainsaw. Every modern Chainsaw is provided with a safety mechanism known as the chain break. Before buying, check the quality of the chain break.
- Comfort: Arborist uses Chainsaw every day for long hours. And being a powered chainsaw, it adds to the weight. Further, to perform critical operations, the design of the handle plays an important role. A good handle design not only provides better control of the Chainsaw but also a secure and comfortable grip. So look for a Chainsaw whose handle provides a comfortable grip.
- Weight: The weight of the Chainsaw is another critical factor. So go for a lighter variant of Top Handle Chainsaw.
- Maneuverability: Look for a compact design Chainsaw that is easy to maneuver.
Best Top Handle Chainsaw
After long research, I have selected some of the Best Top Handle Chainsaw that may suit you according to your need.
DEWALT is the popular name in the field of the Powered tool industry. If you are looking for a compact and lightweight battery chainsaw Top Handle Chainsaw, then DEWALT can be a perfect choice.
As it is battery-powered, so you don’t have to deal with the noise, fumes, and oil leaks. Its compact, lightweight design provides better control and leverage.
DEWALT chainsaw has a brushless motor ideal for high–performance works.
‘Makita’ another well-known name in the field of the tree care industry. This chainsaw is built for heavy-duty work. Its outer rotor BL Brushless motor generates enough power equivalent to any other 30cc gas chain saw. The compact design makes it ideal for professionals working in trees. This top handle chain saw holds some unique features that separate it from other chainsaws are:
- Variable speed trigger
- Torque boost mode(for pruning thick branches)
If you are looking for power pruning, then go for ‘Makita.’