If you are looking for turning inserts, then you have landed on the right page. There are many turning inserts available in the online market, which can lead to confusion while selecting the turning inserts. Here I will guide you and help you to identify the Best Turning Inserts available in the market.
Table of Contents
What is Insert?
Insert is a single-point cutting tool whose primary function is to remove the metal from the job’s outer diameter and inner diameter. It is also used for various purpose like turning, boring, milling and grooving. Inserts are mostly used in a CNC machine.
The inserts are fitted on a tool holder or boring bar with the help of a clamp system, and the inserts can be easily changed when its edges are worn during work.
Types of Inserts
Inserts are differentiated into two types based on their clearance angle.
- Positive Insert: Positive Inserts always have clearance angle between 1 to 90 degree
- Negative Insert: Negative Inserts always have a 0-degree clearance angle.
Insert Clamping System
The system adopted to fit the Insert on the tool holder, or boring bar is called Insert Clamping system. The inserts are clamped in a tool holder or boring bar in several ways; the Insert fits perfectly after clamping. When the edges of the Insert get worn or broken, the insert clamp is opened by Allen key or screwdriver and the second insert fit is given.
When selecting Insert, many variables are taken into consideration.
- Type: High-speed steel, carbide, ceramic, polycrystalline, diamond, or a combined of these.
- Style: Plain or coated.
- Grade: all of these inserts come in a wide variety of grades, usually four or five grades per Insert. These grades are selected by the types or kind of metal that will be cut.
- Shape: They come in square, round ,trianglular,parallelogram,octagonal, pentagonal,hexagonal,diamond(different angles), and rectangular shapes.
- Design: Insert are flat, with angular or grooved sides
- Rake: Positive, negative or neutral
- Coatings: There are several types like titanium nitride, titanium carbide, composite ceramic
Parameters considered when choosing the Best Turning Inserts.
To achieve better machining performance and good chip control insert geometry, insert grade, insert shape (nose angle), insert size is taken into consideration. For example, insert selected for a better finishing insert geometry is taken into consideration, for strength and economy largest possible nose angle is considered, for achieving the depth of cut insert size is taken into consideration, for insert strength largest possible nose radius is selected. If there are any increases in the tendency of vibration, smaller nose radius inserts are chosen.
Turning Insert is also chosen according to Turning insert grade.
Turning insert grade: The insert grade is primarily selected according to:
- Component material (ISO P, M, K, N, S, H)
- Type of method (finishing, medium, roughing)
- Machining conditions (good, average, difficult)
Selecting Chip breaker(geometry) based on the machining operation like finishing, medium, or roughing. Insert with stronger cutting edges are required for Roughing operation, Inserts for finishing operation light depths of cut and low feed rates so cutting-edge strength is not so important. For medium operation, inserts with versatile geometry are required due to the wide range of depths of cut and feed rate.
Advantages of Inserts
- An insert requires a minimal quantity of tool material, thus reduces the cost of the tool.
- Inserts can be easily and quickly removed from the tool holder. Thus the tool changing time and hence the cost of machining is less.
- As the cost of inserts is less than the cost of tool grinding, it is economical to replace the worn-out Insert by a fresh insert.
- Instead of keeping a large number of a particular type of tool in the store, one can keep a tool holder and several inserts.
Best Turning Inserts
Here I have listed some of the Best Turning Inserts available in the market.
CNC Lathe Indexable Solid Carbide Turning Insert: ASZLBYM
This triangular carbide turning insert is best suited for finishing process of steel. The triangular-shaped PVD coated insert has high hardness, low friction coefficient, good wear resistance and chemical stability. Other than the metal, it can even be used for woodturning.
Indexable Carbide Turning Tool: Accusize Industrial Tools
It is a complete turning tool kit. The box contains a set black oxide finish turning tool holder, marked with tool holder style and shank size. The part number is etched onto the holders for clear identification. This Turning Insert can easily cut through almost all materials without any issue. It is one of the Best Turning Inserts for turning jobs.
Indexable Lathe Carbide Turning Tool Set: OSCARBIDE
This turning toolset is best for metalworking. Each set comes with carbide inserts installed. The inserts are Tin-coated which makes them moistureproof, dust-proof, hence increases the tool life. Almost all Heavy-Duty Lathe Turning can be performed using this set. This carbide cutting tool set comes with a premuim aluminium carrying case.